Tuesday 26 July 2016

The Island (Part 4) - Decisions

The unexpected discovery of an artifact from the past brings back old memories and stirs up new tensions on a Hawaiian island....

Read the Island (Part 1) - Discovery here.
Read the Island (Part 2) - Expedition here.
Read the Island (Part 3) - Revelation here.


Benigal Cave (Photo: via lifetravelandchocolate  )
The Island

Part 4

Decisions




Holokai stamped his fist on the ground and pushed himself up. “If they won’t let me go on the voyage then I will make my own. And if the plastic was made with fire then I will destroy it with fire. I’m going to take all this plastic to Kilauea to get rid of it once and for all.” He paused. “I will scour the bays and reefs and remove every piece that I can find before the poisons can get into the bodies of birds and fish and …” He fell silent.


He sat down again and poked at the ground with a stick. “I will ask the kupuna council to make a rule. All fishing boats must collect the haole plastic they see and bring it back.”

Grandfather “That’s a good idea son.”

Grandmother nodded too, then glanced at Kalea. “For now you can do something even more useful. Help your wife take the food to the feasting ground.”

Holokai’s face softened as he looked at Kalea. He stood and strode quickly to her. As he neared he saw her perspiration glistening on her breasts as she tied a heavy bundle of fruit into a hand-woven mesh sack.

He stopped beside her. “I will take this. You bring the banana leaves.” He nodded to the pile next to her.

She looked up at him with a fleeting smile. “Mahalo.” He stooped to pick up the bundle while she turned to scoop up a stack of leaves. “I know you must be very disappointed the council did not select you,” she said softly.

He grunted as he hefted the sack of fruit on his shoulder but said nothing.

“I want to talk to you about something important. Not the voyage.”

He grunted again.

She took a deep breath. “Holokai, I‘m hapai, carrying.”

He stopped and turned to her. “I know you have been carrying food all day for the feast. You bring honour to our family with your contribution.”

“No!” She dropped the leaves at her feet and turned to him. “I am carrying!” She placed her hand flat on her stomach.

His eyes widened as he stared first at her belly then at her face. “Hapai? Really?”

“Yes,” she whispered.

He let the bag of fruit drop to the ground, raised his hand to her face and cupped her cheek. “I…” He dropped his head, then raised it again, his skin flushed. “I am sorry…” She nodded and closed her eyes as he stared at her and stroked her cheek. “Are you well? Have you had any bleeding this time?”

She opened her eyes and shook her head. “No. I feel fine.”

He grinned and ran his hand slowly down her face and neck to her breast which rose and fell in time with her ragged breaths. He looked into her eyes. “I haven’t been…. Let us fall in love again.” He reached up to remove the hibiscus flower behind her left ear but she raised a hand to stop him.

She placed her hand over his heart. “You are my skin.”

He placed his hand flat between her breasts and blinked back the moisture in his eyes. “And you mine.”

He lowered his mouth to hers and they kissed. His arms pulled her tightly against him. When they stopped for breath, he grabbed her hand and pulled her toward the beach. “It’s time to cool off after all your hard work.”

“But the food?”

“It will wait a little while,” he laughed, as he ran with her to the water. She let out a shriek as he dragged her with him into the surf.

Grandmother looked up at the sound and smiled. Grandfather looked at her, one eyebrow raised. She gave him a knowing smile. He watched the couple stand waist deep in the water and kiss again. When they separated Holokai dived into waves and swam several strokes into deeper water then turned to face her. She shouted to him, turned and began swimming fast towards the rocky outcrop at the end of the beach. Holokai shouted and splashed at her. Then he dove into the water and swam after her.

The young girl wriggled on her grandmother’s lap “Where are they going?”

“To the rocks at the end of the beach, mo’opuna.”

“I want to go too. I like playing in the cave.”

The splashing arms receded down the beach. “No. Not today.”

“Why not? I want to.” She tried to wriggle free.

Grandmother laughed and tickled the girl but did not let her go. “Let them have a quiet rest after their swim.” Grandfather gave his wife an amused glance. The girl giggled and dropped the sugar cane on the ground. Her face dropped and she reached out for it. “Leave it,” said grandmother.

“Can I have some more?”

She nodded. “How about I give you two fresh pieces and you can take one back home to your brother.”

“But I don’t want to go home.”

“No buts. Your grandfather and I need to have a rest too before the feast.” She glanced up and gave him a familiar look.

Grandfather grinned. “Yes, rascal. Time for you to go home.”


********


Constructive comments welcome  :-)

Click on the tabs above for more stories

No comments:

Post a Comment