Wednesday 4 June 2014

Beijing Private Eyes - Part 6 On the Road


Mark was dozing in the chair when Evie rolled over and groaned. Light streamed around the edges of the curtain. Outside birds chirped and cars tooted.

“Oh God. My head hurts.” Evie said.

“Let me get you some painkillers.” Mark pushed himself up out of the chair and came back with some paracetamol. She popped two and swallowed them with water and lay her head down on the pillow again.

       She opened her eyes and looked at his rumpled clothes. “Have you been there all night?”

“Yeah. I wanted to make sure you were ok.”

“It wasn’t necessary you know.” she said closing her eyes.
 

 

 Street stalls, Shanghai (Photo: M Griffiths)
 
 



Read Beijing Private Eyes - Part 1  Arrival  here, Part 2  Lights, camera...  here, Part 3 - Room service here, Part 4 - Ancient History here, Part 5 - Party time here,


(For my six peak oil short story competition entries set in Australia and China see here)






Part 6 – On the Road

By Matthew Griffiths

 

Mark was dozing in the chair when Evie rolled over and groaned. Light streamed around the edges of the curtain. Outside birds chirped and cars tooted.

“Oh God. My head hurts.” Evie said.

“Let me get you some painkillers.” Mark pushed himself up out of the chair and came back with some paracetamol. She popped two and swallowed them with water and lay her head down on the pillow again.

            She opened her eyes and looked at his rumpled clothes. “Have you been there all night?”

“Yeah. I wanted to make sure you were ok.”

“It wasn’t necessary you know.” she said closing her eyes.

“You never can tell. You said you were feeling sick but you never threw up.”    

She opened her eyes and looked at him again. “Thanks for bringing me home last night. I never should have drunk that much.”

            He shook his head. “Being drunk is one thing but what you were…I don’t know like something weird anyway. More than just drunk”. He looked her in the eyes. “I think Zhang is someone who is used to getting what he wants and is not too scrupulous about how he gets it.” 

            She thought it over. “I can’t remember much. I did drink a bit though, maybe more than I realised. I don’t think he’s that bad Mark. This is not my first hangover. It’s just a really bad one. I’m obviously not used to the local booze.”

            “Evie please. I’m not making this up for fun or something. He clearly has an interest in you, and apparently not sober.”

She let his words sink in. “Ok. I’ll be careful.” She sipped the water and searched her foggy memory of the night before. ”Was that really Jack on the phone last night?”

“Eh? No. It was friend of mine who works at the same school. He happened to have the right accent. I primed him with what to say beforehand. I needed some authority greater than my own to get you out of there. Zhang wasn’t happy but he couldn’t do much about it.”

“Not bad. You’re a real Beijing Private Eye.” she laughed weakly then clutched her head again. He waited until her face relaxed.

“Can I get you anything else?” he asked.

“No, I think I’ll try and get some more sleep. You get some rest too. I’ll be fine”

“Ok.” he said, walked to his room and collapsed into bed.

 

 

He awoke in the early afternoon with the smell of food wafting through the apartment. He pulled on his clothes and wandered out into the lounge.

            Evie looked up and proudly announced, “I’ve been shopping!” She waved her hand over the table. “I got some lunch for us. And some fruit, and a butterfly clip for my hair.” she turned around to show it off – a Chinese style decorated version. “I could get used to this place. I had a great time. Everyone is so friendly. And I’m sure I only paid about twice the normal price!”

Mark smiled, “Well done! You’re feeling better then?”

“Yes, much better. Nothing some sleep and pills couldn’t fix.”

“Good, I’m starving and this smells good. Let’s eat.”

            After lunch she helped clear the table and headed for her room “I’m going to have a shower.”

“Ok.”

When she got out of the bathroom Mark was sitting on the sofa cradling his guitar quietly strumming some chords and singing the chorus of a song.

 

Where’re you going man? I don’t know.

Something tells me I got to go.

Goodbye delusion, I’m lightening my load.

Heading for a new place, out on the road.

 

She leant against the door frame drying her hair with a towel. “Sounds good. What’s the song?”

            “It’s one I wrote a while back” he said looking up. “It’s called ‘On the Road’. Actually it’s kind of inspired by a couple of movies.

            “Ok, sing it for me.” She slid onto the sofa with her legs curled under her and hugged a cushion. He started to play.

By the second chorus Evie was singing along and even began adding a backing vocal to the final two verses. As the last chord died away, she clapped her hands and he returned the compliment.

            She looked at him and asked, “So, where are you going man?”

“I don’t know.” Mark replied slowly looking out the window. “I want to do something to make a difference. The ‘where, what, how’ is still an open question.”

“Will you stay here?”

“Mmm, China is a possibility. Environmental work or an NGO would be good. Doing business is not easy though. I find the drinking culture a struggle to deal with. It’s hard to say no and I don’t like getting plonked.”

“I know what you mean.” she smiled.

He frowned and bit his lip. “I’d like to do something in Tibet maybe. Assuming I ever get up there.” He turned back to her. “Sounds like you inherited a good dose of your mother’s talent. You have a great voice.”

“You’re good too. I like the song. Have you written many?” she asked.

“Yeah, I’ve got about five albums worth. Just waiting for the big recording contract.” he said with a laugh. “I have this idea that I can be like some combination of Cat Stevens, Billy Bragg and Leonard Cohen. The only problem being that I have somewhat less talent than they have in their little fingers.”

“Don’t sell yourself short, that song has got potential.”

            He grinned with embarrassment at the compliment and shook his head.

            “I mean it.” she insisted, sitting up and unfolding her legs. “My mum has contacts in the industry. Maybe you should come to L.A. for a while and try your luck. I’ll sing backing vocals on some demos for you. It’d be fun.”

“Probably better if you sing the vocals and I just do the chords. I’m not sure I’m cut out to be a singer and front man anyway.”

“Have you got one for me to sing?”

“Let me have a look.” he went to the desk in his room and shuffled among some song sheets. He walked back and handed her a couple of pages “Let’s try this. It’s called ‘Listen to the River’ about life, the universe and everything.”

“Whoa, heavy shit dude!” she said with an exaggerated Californian accent. ”Ok, play it through for me.”

 

 

 

Over breakfast the next morning Mark reminded Evie: “Remember, if anyone asks, you had a conference call with Jack Baldwin on Saturday night about a new project.”

“What? Oh yes. Great new project, shoot next year, blah blah blah.”

“Exactly, perfect.”

 

When they arrived at the studio Lily came over discuss the schedule. Everything was on track with two full days to go.

“That means I have a few days to go sightseeing before I’m booked to go home.” said Evie.

“What do suggest I do?” she asked Mark. “Where could I go?”

            “All depends what you want to see. You’ve done pretty much all of the Beijing stuff.” said Mark. “Beyond that the options are endless. You could go shopping in Shanghai, visit the gardens in Suzhou, climb Huangshan and admire the sunrise, see the Terracotta warriors in Xi’an, take a cruise down the Li River and watch the pointy hills go by…”

            “Where’s Huangshan?” Evie asked.

“Down south, inland from Shanghai. You can climb it and stay in a lodge at the top and get up and watch the sunrise the next morning, then walk down again. You’ll find it pretty easy. It’s a well-worn tourist trail. It’s cheap enough to fly internally too. I can help you book something online later if you want.”

“Ok. A climb and some nice scenery sounds good.”

“I’m due back at work next Monday too. I’m sure the head tutor will text me sometime this week to make sure I don’t forget.”

 

Evie Thomasson @Evie_T

2 days shooting to go, plus some sightseeing.

Home soon.

           

“I’ll be bit sad to leave you know. I’ve had a great time here.” Evie said. “Even more than I thought it would.

 

 

 

On the last day at the studio Evie hauled a large shopping bag with her. Into the taxi

“What have you got there?” asked Mark.

“Gifts. A Chinese woman in the Warner Brothers office organised them for me. She said you always need more than you think. Lily told me there’s a farewell lunch after we finish the final scene today.”

 

Evie Thomasson @Evie_T

Can’t believe it’s the last day of shooting.

Beijing has been a blast. Watch out LA!

 

Zhang was busy so Director Liu did the honours at the lunch toasting Evie and her co-stars. Evie gave a short thank you speech and emptied her bag of gifts, giving the biggest one to Miss Zhao to pass on to Zhang.

 

After two hours they left the restaurant. “What can we do for my last afternoon in Beijing?” asked Evie.

            “Well you could do some more shopping if you need to, or if you want something more relaxing, how about a wander in the gardens of the Summer Palace?” Mark suggested. 

            “The gardens sound great. I’ve done my shopping and I think I’ve had my fill of crowds for a while. I need to walk off this lunch too.”

            Mark silently hoped that Huangshan wasn’t too packed when she did her climb. They walked slowly around the summer palace and the gardens. The autumn colours just starting to turn and the relative peace and quiet was a welcome relief. Evie happily chatted and asked questions about the various buildings and statues. Mark told her the story of how the Empress Dowager had squandered the money for a new navy ship on the marble boat in the garden, although according to some historians it was actually her predecessor that did it, but the opposition republicans changed the story for political purposes. “The fall of the Qing dynasty wasn’t entirely the fault of the foreign devils.” he said.

            After an hour they stopped for a cup of tea, and then continued on their way. Mark felt his skin tingle every time his arm bumped hers. He wondered if she felt the same.

As they turned back towards the entrance Evie slowed and looked at him. “I just wanted say how much I appreciate you helping me while I’ve been here. And for being good friend. I couldn’t have done it without you. So thanks” She took his hand in hers and continued walking.

He looked down at the hand holding his and smiled, blushing.

“You’re welcome”. He replied.” It’s been great for me too. Assistant to the stars will look very cool on my CV”

“Ha! I doubt it. By the way I’m going to make you sign a twenty page confidentially agreement. What happens in Beijing stays in Beijing.”

“Never fear, a gentlemen doesn’t kiss and tell…especially when there was no actual kissing to tell.”

            She smiled as they walked around the shore of the lake. “I’ve been thinking about my trip to Huangshan. It might be more fun if I had some comp....”

The ring of her phone interrupted her. She stopped and pulled it out of her hand bag and answered. ”Hello, Evie Thomasson.”

“Both of us?” She cast a glance at him, placed her hand over the phone and whispered “It’s Zhang.” “Ok. We’re at the Summer Palace…………Front gate in fifteen minutes, black car. Ok. I think we can make it back by then. ”

Mark frowned.

“Zhang says he has a surprise for us. Director Liu and the cast are coming too.” said Evie. “Duty calls one last time. We’d better walk fast.”

The car picked them up and took them to the studio. Mark sent a text to Mei.

 

Going to meet Zhang. Maybe we will see you later tonight?

Evie is going to Huangshan tomorrow morning.

 

When they arrived Zhang greeted them and personally ushered them inside. “Come in. I am very sorry I couldn’t be at the lunch today. Now we have the pilot episode edited and ready to screen and I couldn’t let you go without seeing it.”

     After the screening Zhang took them all to dinner. After an hour or so Evie and Mark made moves to leave. “We really must go. I’m flying to Huangshan in the morning and I have to pack.” Evie said apologetically.

“Please, just a little longer. This may be the last time we spend together for a very long time.” Zhang responded, filling the wine glasses again and proposing yet another toast. Mark ignored the wine and filled his water glass. Evie sipped sparingly. They continued to talk with the director and her co-stars while Zhang periodically chipped in between checking his phone and issuing instructions to Miss Zhao.

After Zhang finally allowed the dinner to wind up he insisted that the studio car take them home. Mark protested, saying that Evie’s accommodation was close and that the driver should go home and see his family. Zhang insisted and he gave up resignedly.

On the way to a shopping centre address Mark gave him near the apartment the driver stopped in a narrow street outside a convenience store. He left the engine running and the door open.

Deng yixia, Wo qu mai yan.” he said in Chinese. Just wait a minute, I’m going to buy cigarettes.

Ni hao” said a man who appeared in the doorway. Mark looked up and felt a glimmer of recognition. Then two men opened the rear doors, clamped cloths onto the faces of Evie and Mark and they both blacked out.

********

Read Beijing Private Eyes - Part 1  Arrival  here, Part 2  Lights, camera...  here, Part 3 - Room service here, Part 4 - Ancient history here, Part 5 - Party time here,


 Part 7 Cold Storage, is here.


(For my six post-industrial short story competition entries set in Australia and China see here) 

 
 

Tell me what you think. Constructive comments welcome.

If you like the stories tell your friends.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment