Friday 31 July 2015

End of the Party (Part 2)

When a student gets cancer his gay room mate organises a 'Get well soon' party and tries to find him girlfriend.


The Sisters of Mercy "Floodland" Album 1987
 
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated to improve this story. Thanks!

Read End of the Party (Part 1) here.


End of the Party
 
Part 2


Dylan pulled Chase aside and leaned close. He spoke rapidly in his ear and waved his arm in Ryan’s direction as his back disappeared through the doorway. Tyler followed Ryan into the kitchen with two paper plates piled with food. “Want something to eat.”

“Yeah. Thanks.”

Tyler frowned. “Chase can’t help himself when he’s had a few too many.”

“Yeah. Still he didn’t need to do the whole ‘poor Ryan’s got cancer’ thing in front of everybody.”

“Yeah I know. Embarrassing for everyone.”

Ryan gulped some beer. “You and Michael seem to be going well.”

Tyler smiled. “Yeah. He’s great.”

Ryan gave him a tight smile. “I’m glad. Watch out for Chase though. He’s got his eye on Michael.”

Tyler’s eyebrows twitched. “Thanks for the warning. I better get back out there. We were thinking of going soon anyway. Good luck.” He gave him a quick hug.

As Tyler left Ryan took a large bite of food from his plate. Sarah came in. “Hi Ryan. Sorry Alyssa dragged me away earlier before we could talk. Tough times for you. Are you doing ok?”

He nodded trying to swallow the food. He wiped a crumb from his mouth. “Yeah. Mostly.”

“My mother had cancer and she came through it ok. I’m sure you’ll be fine.” Her smile was genuine but her forehead showed worry lines.

“Nothing some beer and loud music can’t fix.” He leaned against the kitchen bench and shrugged. “I’m thinking it might actually be useful. I’m studying bio-chem. I think we actually have a couple of classes together. Nothing like a practical experiment or two to reinforce all the course work.”

“Will you be ok for finals?”

“I think so. They’ll give me a break between treatment cycles and then start it again afterwards.”

Sarah crossed her arms and sipped her beer. “Will you still come to class?”

Ryan shook his head. “No I’m going to be doing them online for the rest of the semester. Save my strength. I’ll come in for a few tutorials maybe, if I can.”

“Oh.” She pursed her lips and brushed a lock of long black hair away from her face. Ryan stood silently wondering what to say. She was nice but…

She saved him the trouble. “Ok, well I hope I see you again soon. Good luck.”

He smiled. “Yeah. You too. See you.”

Chase stepped through the door as soon as she disappeared. “How’d you go with her?”

“We chatted.”

“Are you going to see her again?”

Ryan shrugged. “We have some classes together.”

“Go and talk with her some more man. Don’t let her leave tonight.”

“I don’t really feel like talking. I’m tired and I’ve had a few too many of these.” He put his empty bottle on the bench.

Chase scuffed his shoe on the worn lino floor. “Sorry for making you feel bad. I love you man. I just want you to have some fun you know. With everything that’s going on...”

Ryan stared at him but didn’t speak.

“Come on let’s go and dance for a while…I’ll even change the music. How about the Sisters of Mercy?”

Ryan looked at him and sighed.

Chase flicked back his fringe, held his beer bottle like a microphone and began to sing. “Hey now, hey now now, sing This Corrosion to me…”

Ryan shook his head and grinned.

Chase lowered his microphone and smiled. “The first track on side two is 10 minutes and 55 second of auditory awesomeness. Come on.”

“All right. But no more matchmaking ok?”

Chase changed the record and they slipped into the middle of the lounge. Out of the corner of his eye Ryan saw Tyler and Michael saying goodbyes. He nodded his head in their direction. “They’re leaving. Looks like you’re out of luck tonight.”

Chase clenched his jaw, then shrugged. “I can wait.” Ryan glanced away. Two girls joined them in the middle of the dance floor. One had dyed blonde hair and high heels, the other a piercing in her belly button. Chase winked at Ryan but managed to stop himself from adding to his previous humiliation. Eventually they sat down on the couch and opened another beer. Chase raised his bottle and touched it against Ryan’s. “Friends?”

“Yeah, sure.”

Eventually the party thinned out. Ryan stood near the door and smiled and nodded at an endless repetition of ‘good luck’ and ‘see you soon’.

Chase threw his arm around Ryan’s shoulder as the last people left. “Well. That went pretty well.”

Ryan swayed against him slightly. “Yeah.”

Chase steadied him. “It’s a scary thing buddy but you’ll get through it.”

“Hope so.” Ryan looked Chase in the eyes. “Thanks for…” He waved his hand vaguely at the room.

“You’re welcome. There’s never a bad time for a party.”

Ryan nodded slightly. “Maybe you’re right. I shouldn’t stop living just because this cancer stuff is going on.”

Chase nodded. “Exactly.”

“In fact I’m thinking I should make the most of whatever time I have, in case…”

“Yeah, totally. But hey, you’ll be fine, I’m sure.”

Ryan took a deep breath. “Did you mean what you said about loving me? Even while you were being a jerk?”

“Of course man. What? You don’t believe me? We're buddies.”

Ryan nodded. “I believe you. I…” His face flushed bright crimson. “I just wanted you to know…I…” His Adam’s apple jumped up and down in his throat. “I love you too.”

****
 
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated to improve this story. Thanks!

Read End of the Party (Part 1) here.

Find more romance stories here, plus many other stories at the tabs above.

No comments:

Post a Comment